The Department of Ecology administers a number of reporting requirements. The most common of these requirements are listed below.
PLEASE NOTE: This is not yet a comprehensive list of Ecology's reporting requirements.

Spills (Oil or hazardous materials)

Spills of oil or hazardous materials must be reported.

Air Quality

Agricultural Post-Burn Report ("Blue Card")
A post-burn report must be submitted to Ecology whenever anyone conducts agricultural burning in Eastern Washington except Benton, Spokane, and Yakima counties and tribal lands.

Blue card these counties: Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat and Okanogan

Blue Card for these counties: Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla and Whitman

Grants and Loans

Individual grants and loans awarded by Ecology include a variety of reporting requirements. See the various programs and individual contracts for more information.

Hazardous Chemicals and Dangerous Waste Reporting

Hazardous Chemicals (EPCRA Tier Two and other reporting requirements)
Facilities may be subject to one or more Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) reporting requirements depending upon the types and quantities of chemicals stored or released. EPCRA also is known as Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) Title III.
Dangerous Waste (TurboWaste.Net)
All facilities/sites that have RCRA site ID numbers are required to complete an Annual Dangerous Waste Report each year.

Water Quality Reporting

Construction Stormwater
Construction projects must report high stormwater turbidity results (greater than or equal to 250 NTUs) within 24 hours.
Industrial Stormwater
Reports (discharge monitoring reports or DMRs) must be submitted quarterly for facilities covered by the industrial stormwater general permit.
Municipal Stormwater
Municipal stormwater permits require all permittees to submit annual reports describing the progress of their permit implementation activities.
Wastewater discharge permits include requirements for the submittal of Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs).

Water Resources Reporting

Well Construction Reports (Well Logs)
After a well is constructed, re-constructed or decommissioned, a well report must be submitted within 30 days to the Department of Ecology.


Report an environmental problem to Ecology


Thumbnail image of the Common Reports poster
Poster showing common environmental reports for industrial facilities in Washington State